Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Roombas are strong and have robust connectivity, but are dumb and blind

Enter.... the Neato XV series robotic vacuum!

I grabbed one super cheap and will sell my parts roomba to make up the price.  This Neato xv-11 works perfectly, apparently, I saw it running.  It has usb port, current-ish firmware (3.2), later revision board (64?), and decent battery.

So time to use a smarter base for my bot.  LiDAR will be vital to my navigation, and the motors in the Neato are geared, not belt driven, and have encoders to return distance travelled and hopefully are more accurate than the roomba motors.

Nice side bonus - there is an accelerate setting for the motors.

So I'll be trying to connect my pi to this (using mini-usb cable) to see if I can run it from python.  I have python script already to control it if everything works right, just to test.

If it DOES work, I'll start my node wavefront code move to neato instead of roomba control.

This should be a fun change!

No comments:

Post a Comment